Roman Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of New York base their educational purpose and all their activities on the Christian teaching of the essential equality of all persons as rooted in God’s love. Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of New York do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, and gender in administration of educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs and athletic and other school administered programs.
Parents APPLY to the school for admission, then if all is in order, their child is ACCEPTED to the school, and ultimately they REGISTER. Applicants must meet the school’s academic, psychological and residential requirements in order to register. All decisions about student admission are made by the Principal.
Priority for Admission to St. Margaret of Cortona School is as follows:
- Families who are registered members of St. Margaret of Cortona Parish.
- Brothers and sisters of students presently registered at St. Margaret of Cortona School.
- Catholic families who are registered members of other Catholic parishes.
- Catholic families who are not registered members of any Catholic parish.
- Families not of the Catholic faith.
Registration for Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 7 is usually held during the month of February. Notification of the registration dates is published in the parish weekly bulletin. Parents wishing to register a child are required to present the following on the day of registration:
- Baptismal and Birth Certificates. Both documents are required for Catholic students. Copies of these documents will be made during registration.
- Records of required Immunizations and Physical. New York State law requires that certain immunizations be completed before a child may begin Kindergarten.
- Most recent Report Card and Standardized scores of child registering for Grades 2-7. For students in Grades 4-7, two letters of recommendation from teacher and/or Principal of previous school are needed.
- A non-refundable new registration fee per child made payable to St. Margaret of Cortona School.
Once applications have been processed, new student entrance assessments and contact with the school from which the student is transferring take place before acceptance to St. Margaret of Cortona School is approved.